This week we hear from Karon Williamson, director of women’s discpleship.
Pandemic, murder hornets, schools closed, church buildings and businesses shuttered, busiest hurricane season on record, and now we hear a small meteor is racing straight toward planet Earth. Just when you thought you can’t take one more thing in 2020, here I am announcing our Women’s Fall Bible Study is on the book of LEVITICUS (cue confusion, agony, and utter despair). I know many of you would rather face murder hornets than read and study Leviticus in 2020, but here are ten reasons you should (Editors Note: Men, skip down to reason #6. We hope this article encourages you to study Leviticus too either on your own or by forming a study group!) :
1. You don’t have to wear a mask to Zoom Bible Study.
2. You don’t have to wear hard pants to Zoom Bible Study. Comfort is king.
3. You will meet really interesting women from all over the United States.
4. Children and pets are not only welcomed, but a source of delight.
5. We laugh a lot, cry a bit, the Holy Spirit moves, and community is formed.
6. Leviticus is the central book of the Pentateuch, the foundation of the Old Testament and the bible Jesus used.
7. The law in Leviticus reflects the values of the Law-Giver, therefore Leviticus teaches us what God values.
8. Leviticus reveals the chief purpose of mankind—worship of the God who desires to dwell with his people.
9. In Leviticus we behold God’s holiness and his great glory and since we become what we behold, Leviticus helps us to be holy as he is holy.
10. You will see Jesus in Leviticus, the One who came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it. And friends, we need to see Jesus.
The study will run September 15-December 1 on Tuesday nights by Zoom, 7:00 pm- 9:00pm. Please sign up here.
While participants are never required to buy the selected study curriculum (a good study Bible will usually suffice), I strongly encourage you to purchase and faithfully use the following two books for this study. You will need to purchase both books because the study guide directs you to read portions of the commentary to gain understanding (click the book image for purchase info):
Order these as soon as possible and complete the introduction starting on page 13 for our lesson on Sept 15. The first lesson requires more reading than usual, so please don’t wait until the last minute. I cannot wait to see how God meets us to display his glory through Leviticus.
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” Timothy 3:16-17
Join us to see Jesus in Leviticus!
– Karon Williamson